Some of these sites were really interesting and fun to explore. I can see that all of these online sources to read might just be something that is working against circulation totals in our public libraries. Isn't it easier to just go online and never have to leave your home to read a book? There are so many sites that you can access and do this. As a librarian, I do not want to see readers using other sources entirely such as computers to do their book reading but at least if they are reading that is something!!
I did notice that NetLibrary eBooks was not a link we were asked to explore. I think this is a great source for reading books online that maybe should be included in this "Thing 35".
I personally prefer to have the book in hand to read and after working with the computer most of the day, I do not want to have to read a book on my computer screen at the end of the day. I want to be able to sit in my comfy chair and just escape from it all and that includes the computer. Works for me!! I can positively say there will never be a book on my phone!!
Anyway, I did go on most of the sites recommended in this thing. I had already signed up in the previous things and have a profile now on Facebook. Not going to do a lot with this because I have enough trouble finding time just to check my email!! So for me this is really stepping our of the Library box!! My youngest daughter is on facebook so I signed up to be her friend and I wished I could be there when she gets my message!!!
I also signed up and have an account on GoodReads last time around. I have enjoyed keeping posted on some of the more popular books.
What's Next is something I will come back to. There are so many book series and to keep them all straight and remember which one comes next in the series is always a challenge and now that I know about "What's Next" I will use that to help me keep track.
aNobii, Booktagger,Shelfari and Dailylit are sites I enjoyed and will come back to. I did sign up on Booktagger and this should be fun.
Well, I am going to close on this thing by saying I hope library users will continue to visit their libraries and check out books. I don't think I have seen a decrease here in library use at the local libraries and checking out of books. I think this all begins with the parents taking their children to the library as a family. It is an activity they can all do together and it is FREE!!! Children are never too young to start using the library and if they are taught this early, they will continue using the library as they grow older. I know my children learned the importance and love I have for reading and they all continue to do so even today!! We actually do what these internet sites are trying to do, we share books we have read and suggest ones we think each other should read!!! If one of us buys a book, we all enjoy taking our turn reading it.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Patti,
Wow, you are making impressive progress again! I really enjoy reading about your learning exploirations. I also appreciate your sharing your insights into the Things and yourself.
Robin
SAMMIE
Post a Comment